Presently, Media Consultant, Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Punjabi University Patiala.
Last Posting: Professor and Head, Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Punjabi University Patiala.
Areas of interest: Media and Journalism, Punjabi and Sikh history and Culture, Philosophy and Religion, Human Psychology and Social issues.
Areas of expertise: Teaching, Prose writing on issues of wide interest, extensive experience in writing, editing and translation of books.
Major Academic Qualifications
- Ph.D. in Journalism (Thesis: On Development of Punjabi Journalism)
- The thesis was examined by Mr. Kuldip Nayar and Mr. Prem Bhatia.
- M.A. in Punjabi (Gold Medallist)
- M.A. in English
- M.A. in Philosophy
- B. Journalism (Gold Medallist)
- Diploma in French
Thirty eight years of experience as a writer and a teacher. As a teacher, taught undergraduate students for five years and a half, and postgraduate students for thirty two years and a half.
2006 onward: Media Consultant, Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Punjabi University, Patiala.
1995 – 2004: Professor and Head, Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Punjabi University Patiala.
1990 – 1995: Professor and Head, Department of Punjabi, Punjabi University Patiala.
1982 – 1990: Reader in Department of Punjabi, Punjabi University Patiala.
1971 – 1982: Lecturer in English/Punjabi, Punjabi University Patiala.
1966 – 1971: Lecturer in English, Govt. Mahindra College, Patiala.
During the teaching career, also held various other positions in the University, including being member of the Syndicate, member of the Senate, Dean of Students’ Welfare and Professor-in-charge, Public Relations.
Also worked as a Resource Person for the University Grants Commission sponsored Orientation and Refresher Courses held at various universities.
- Ph.D. thesis on Development of Punjabi Journalism in 1978. The thesis has been published by Languages Department, Punjab.
- Successfully guided ten Ph.D. candidates and 28 M. Phil. candidates.
Publications and Related Work
- Thirty books in Punjabi.
- Forty two research papers in Punjabi and English.
- Over 400 articles and essays in various newspapers and magazines. (Out of these, more than 300 essays have been in Punjabi Tribune.)
- Edited and translated Punjabi University Annual Report for five years.
- Edited Bharti ate Videshi Sahit for three years.
- Reviewed books for Punjabi Tribune and Khoj Patrika.
- Prepared profiles of Punjabi University for various publications.
- Did pioneering work in the research of Punjabi Journalism (was the first Ph.D. on the subject of Journalism in Punjabi).
Other roles and activities
- Participated in over forty conferences, seminars, summer schools and workshops nationally as well as internationally.
- Participated in the eight-week Summer School at University of California, San Diego (USA) in 1989 and presented a paper on the “Impact of American Journalism on the Regional Press in India”.
- Visited the University of California (Berkeley and San Diego), State University of New York, University of Washington, the Oxford University in England and the University in Paris.
- Travelled extensively in India, USA, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Belgium, China, Turkey, UAE, Canada, Mexico, Iraq and Kuwait.
- Participated as the representative of Punjab and the Punjabi language in the International Workshop for Asian Writers in New Delhi.
- Participated in a workshop on Punjabi Language and Literature organized by the UGC at New Delhi.
- Participated in seminars at Guru Nanak Dev University, Delhi University, Jammu University, Kurukshetra University, Panjab University, Lucknow University, etc.
- Underwent training at:
- The Tribune, Chandigarh.
- LA Times, Los Angeles (California, USA).
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi.
- Was interpreter to the Governor of Punjab, Mr. S.S. Ray for two years.
Membership (past and present) of Professional, Academic and Literary bodies
- Member, Punjabi Cultural Centre, California, USA.
- Member, Punjabi Cultural Society, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- Member, Punjabi Centre, Glasgow, England.
- Member, American Studies Research Centre, Hyderabad.
- Chairman, Board of Undergraduate Studies, Punjabi University Patiala.
- Chairman, Board of Postgraduate Studies, Punjabi University Patiala.
- Member, Board of Studies, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.
- Life member, Sahit Academy, Ludhiana.
- Former Secretary, Punjabi University Teachers’ Association, Patiala.
- Member, Academic Council, Punjabi University Patiala.
- Member, Senate, Punjabi University Patiala.
- Member, Syndicate, Punjabi University Patiala.
- Member, Management Committee, Khalsa College, Patiala.
- Member, Management Committee, Mahindra College, Patiala.
Contribution to the development of Punjabi and the Punjabi University
- Gave a new life to prose-writing in Punjabi language by publishing high quality articles, essays and books for over thirty years. Currently many of my writings and books are prescribed at undergraduate and postgraduate levels in various universities.
- For many years as member and as Chairman of the Board of Studies in the University, worked to introduce the new and updated courses and the new literary and critical theories and tried to upgrade the syllabus to meet the new challenges in the changed economic and political scenario. Made efforts to give international and inter-disciplinary complexion to the syllabi for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Actively participated in the cultural activities and youth festivals.
- Presided over a number of literary and cultural functions at various colleges and universities.
- Worked as Coordinator of Entrance Tests for the university and introduced various changes to bring in transparency and efficiency in the tests.
- Was involved in numerous conferences, seminars, workshops and symposia organized at the university related to Punjabi and English literature, Media and Journalism, Social and Political issues, etc.
- Worked as Convener of various committees at Punjabi University, Patiala.
- Held the charge of Dean, Students’ Welfare, Dean, Faculty of Education, Professor-in-charge, Public Relations at Punjabi University Patiala.
- Acted as subject expert at various universities.
Awards and Recognitions
- Shiromani Sahitkaar Award and One lakh rupees cash prize by Language Department, Punjab for my writings in Punjabi.
- Gurbax Singh Preetlari Prize by Languages Department, Punjab for the book Ahmo Sahmane.
- Cash Prize by Punjabi Sahit Sabha, London for the collection of essays Buhe Baariaan.